WASH Head of Department at ACTION AGAINST HUNGER Job Vacancy in Ethiopia
General Assignments / scope of the Role:
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Ethiopia since 1984 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sectoral strategy where Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Mental Health and Care Practices are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
Action Against Hunger currently operates in 5 different regions with an anticipated 2020 yearly portfolio of 20m USD of emergency and resilience building programs, research and innovation. We have a country team of about 650 staff working out of 18 field offices across Ethiopia. Our main donors in Ethiopia are: ECHO, Europaid, UNHCR, OFDA, BPRM, SIDA, EHF, WFP and others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1: Design the new WASH country strategy, identify new opportunities and develop new projects with a focus on long term and development projects.
· Design the new WASH technical strategy in line with the 2021-2025 International Strategic Plan (ISP)
· Pursue new business opportunities and remain updated on donors sectoral strategies
· Organize and coordinate alongside the MEAL TA, needs assessments both in development & emergency contexts
· Identify structural, economic and other constraints in all the regions and take these into account in future program, propose new program directions;
· Stay up-dated on the humanitarian context;
· Work with field staff, managers and field coordinators to develop concepts that correspond to Action Against Hunger’s regional strategies and complement existing projects;
· Develop logical framework analysis (LFA) for all new WASH projects;
· Work with all WASH team, the Program Development Coordinator and the Country Management Team to develop the full proposal document for donors (narrative and budget).
2: Provide technical support to projects implementation
· Provide technical support, supervise and evaluate the work of the WASH field teams
· Provide technical support and approve donor reports from the WASH field teams
· Analyze the pertinence of ongoing activities and put forward the necessary adjustments
· Provide technical support to the WASH field teams vis a vi our MEAL strategy and toolkit
· Contribute to ensure the integration of projects in WASH, FSL, Health and Nutrition, MHPSS through capacity building, awareness, experience exchange, meetings and contributions to other sectors
·Collect and share sector specific information upstream and downstream
3: Develop tools/approaches to monitor and evaluate ACF WASH project implementation
· Adapt or develop if necessary tools to monitor WASH activities in consultation with PMs, MEAL TA and DCD/P;
· Adapt or develop if necessary periodic assessment and reporting templates and user guidelines for key institutional actors, partners and stakeholders;
· Ensure that indicators (Action Against Hunger, national or international standards) for measuring results of project implementation including mainstreaming indicators for cross-cutting issues are used and if necessary develop country specific indicators;
· Adapt and develop if necessary tools for evaluation and impact assessment of the project;
· Supervise deputy WASH HoD in the compilation, consolidation and validation of sectoral APRs monthly, biannually and yearly
· Plan and implement regular project monitoring and evaluation activities (internal and/or external evaluation);
· Recruit external evaluators when needed, write their TORs and plan activities;
· Collect, analyze and disseminate in a timely manner evaluation outcomes (internal + external) in consultation with Action Against Hunger’s coordination team, other technical advisors and partners, stakeholders, field coordinators and other relevant sources of information;
· Extract critical lessons learned and good practices from final evaluations, program audits and monitoring reports.
4: Validate technically plans, reports and other project-related documents:
· Technically review and advise field coordinators and WASH PMs in the preparation of yearly and quarterly work plans, reports, project presentations and other WASH project related documents and correspondence;
· Contribute technically to prepare high quality reports/ project related documentation for dissemination to the stakeholders;
5: Build the technical capacity of the WASH teams
· Distribute and explain technical external and internal guidelines and protocols to the WASH teams
· Validate the HR needs of the WASH department
· Validate technically job descriptions for program staff
· Participate in recruitment processes (design technical tests, interviews for PM and deputy PM);
· Give technical inputs on the performance evaluation of WASH PMs;
· Identify development needs/skillsets among the WASH team;
· Organize and conduct training sessions and any other capacity building activities;
· Organize WASH technical workshops for the field staff on quarterly basis;
6: Represent Action Against Hunger with external stakeholders
· Represent Action Against Hunger in external technical / coordination meetings, WASH Cluster and develop a strong network of key stakeholders
· Prepare and share minutes of these meeting with the senior program team ;
· Write and develop WASH country specific position papers;
· Represent the organization in meetings with partners, donors and/or government authorities
Educational / Professional Background
· MSC / BSC in Civil engineering, Water and Soil engineering and other related fields.
· At least 10 years of related experience with an INGO including senior management program position.
· Interest and/or experience in hygiene promotion and behaviour change
· Demonstrated experience provided technical support to teams and programs
· Demonstrated experience in proposal writing and donor reporting.
· Demonstrated experience in financial management and preparation of budgets for programming.
· Experience in international positions and development programs and sanitation marketing is advantageous
· Excellent management and representation competencies.
· Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
· A strong understanding of project cycle management and monitoring and evaluation.
· Interpersonal skills: team management, communication, reporting, autonomy, organizational skill, staff development, creative and innovative thinking, leadership skill, strategic decision making and planning, delegation of work, management of staffs, team building
How to Apply
If you are interested, please send your application composed of none returnable CV, Covering Letter with “WASH Head of Department”written in the subject line, and three references, applicants to the following addresses:
Through www.ethiojobs.net ;
Directly In Person to Action Against Hunger Addis Ababa office after Washington DC
square to Mayor Muriel Bowser Street, Wollega – Gimbi, Gambella, Waghimra – Sekota, Harergue - Harar, Borena – Yabellow and Somali Gode offices,
Deadline: Thursday, 25 March 2020 before 5:00 pm
“Female Applicants Are Highly Encouraged”
NB: Only short listed applicants will be, communicated on on and selection process includes technical test and an interview.