Shelter Associate at UNHCR Job Vacancy in Ethiopia
The Shelter Associate will provide support and assistance on shelter and general infrastructure related activities within the Area of Responsibility (AoR). The incumbent will need to have relevant technical background in order to provide the appropriate analysis, assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation support to shelter response provided to people of concern (PoC).
As part of the shelter team, the Shelter Associate will assist in ensuring smooth implementation of the UNHCR Shelter Programme throughout the project life-cycle, in particular to ensure compliance with technical specifications and aspects in programme delivery (based on national, international and UNHCR’s shelter guidelines and best practice); for adequate advice on the technical integrity, cultural suitability and adequacy of implementation arrangements for UNHCR’s shelter and infrastructure assistance programme.
The incumbent works independently, while s/he usually reports to a senior shelter colleague, who defines general work objectives
The Shelter Associate keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
- Participate in shelter needs assessment missions to shelter and infrastructure projects' fields/sites. Provide detailed technical input required for shelter, physical planning and infrastructure projects' plans, with due consideration to environmental concerns, local context, UNHCR operation and capacity of implementing partners.
- Provide technical support to UNHCR IPs in all the aspects relating to shelter and infrastructure projects through the whole project life-cycle (according to UNHCR, Sphere, and National Standards), liaising cross sectoral as appropriate
- In the case of direct implementation by UNHCR (contractor led approach), assist in planning, supervising, monitoring and reporting project activities undertaken by UNHCR.
- Assist UNHCR's Shelter IPs in technical preparation, technical revision and technical evaluation of detailed shelter and infrastructure rehabilitation projects, including (but not limited to) repair of damaged houses, shelter packages, access road works, WASH facilities, schools, health units, bakeries, civil affairs and other public buildings by revising technical specifications, BQs, cost estimations and tender documents.
- Provide regular technical monitoring, guidance and supervision in shelter, construction, and infrastructure projects. This includes making recommendations to enhance work progress, time schedules, and procurement of the required shelter materials to ensure timely implementation.
- Work closely with UNHCR Programme, Protection, Supply and Field Units and assist in all technical queries (project-plans, BQ, cost estimations, tender process and technical assessment) for program clearance and technical evaluation.
- Work closely with inter-agency coordination officers to assist updating preparedness and emergency plans and make sure contingency stock of items/materials for emergency shelter response are in place.
- Work closely with communication officers to assist finalizing the technical factsheet for PI purpose and contribute to reporting to donors regarding post-monitoring visits, technical results and identified gaps.
- Liaise and coordinate with stakeholders of shelter and infrastructure projects and provide regular technical reports to the supervisor and to other colleagues as appropriate.
- Monitor the implementation of shelter and infrastructure construction activities and report through standard channels e.g. SIP making information available for functional unit
- Liaise with local authorities, NGOs and IPs on shelter and infrastructure projects.
- Provide technical support and advice on shelter related activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Negotiate with service providers for the office.
- Purchase materials and contract services for the office within the delegated authority limits.
- Access the relevant information and financial records, Focus/MSRP data.
- Verify the accuracy of data and reports pertaining to the functions
Type of contract
- Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract
- 6 months
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Knowledge of SPHERE standards and the ability to use basic survey equipment, digital cameras, and computer equipment.
- Experience in developing shelter and settlement need assessments and undertaking gap analysis for development of shelter programs.
- Completion of secondary education or Civil Engineering, Architecture or other related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of previous job experience relevant to the functions.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Knowledge of computer graphics, AutoCAD and mapping software as well as the capacity to use mapping tools (GPS), and digital photographic equipment, and related software (map info etc.).
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
How to Apply
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter, the most recent factsheet and the new updated P11 Form through the online application system following the below link:
Candidates will be required to take a written test.
Due to the volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.
Shelter Associate at UNHCR Job Vacancy in Ethiopia