Senior Finance Officer at Farm Africa
Effective agriculture has the power to change lives. It underpins prosperity, food security and stability the world over. Farm Africa focuses on transforming agriculture and managing natural resources sustainably. We champion a holistic approach that boosts yields, protects the environment and connects smallholder farmers to thriving markets.
We work with different types of farmers in a range of regions. Their local situations vary, but the problems they face are all too familiar: lack of training and technology, inadequate inputs, no finance, vulnerability to climate change and poor links to markets.
We have an ambitious strategy to expand our work over the next five years. We’ll increase our impact. Lift more communities out of poverty. Work with more corporate partners who share our vision. Open up more agricultural markets. Provide more expertise.
We’ll make change happen.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Senior Finance Officer will be responsible for all financial support to the respective projects including, but not limited to, input into the development of budgets, ensuring compliance with grant conditions relating to finance, financial analysis, ongoing budget management, supporting budget holders with provision of advice and reports, supporting on development of budgets and forecasts and monitoring of on-going spend. Maintains acceptable accounting standard and financial control according to the FARM Africa finance rules and procedures.He/she will also be responsible for building the capacity of the relevant project finance and admin officers.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONISBILITES
Key areas of responsibilities are:
- Review monthly and biweekly project financial reports for completeness and accuracy
- Post monthly and bi weekly project financial reports in to SUN system
- Insure accuracy and correctness of month end bank and cash reconciliation and subsequent filing (soft and hard copy) and communicate CO Finance manager
- Review monthly partners financial report and post to the system
- Maintain and manage the finance filing system to ensure that it provides easy and immediate access to financial information
- Assists the program department staff and actively participate in the preparation of budgets
- Assist project finance managers on allocation, revision and monitoring of funds
- Support in archiving all finance documents and ensuring that they are in safe custody and easily accessible by the finance team.
- Provides support to program staff on sub-grant management issues
- Prepares appropriate financial reports as required by the program finance coordinators;
- Assist program finance coordinator in periodic budget review, and preparation of budget amendments when necessary
- Provide admin support in monitoring procurement and vehicle usage
- Actively participate in preparation of budget monitoring reports
- Closely monitor as well as conduct periodic review of project accounts as well as prepare sound cash management system at field level
- Support in preparation of monthly balance sheet accounts
- Develop a system to control and follow up of all income requests.
- Maintain reconciliations of expenditures of projects
- Actively participate in the monthly financial report reviews for assigned Feld Offices and make necessary adjusting entries
- Provide support to prepare donor currency fund status report on a monthly basis
- Participates in the annual budget preparation and reviews for the field offices annual budget
- Prepare journal entries for payroll allocations, prepayments, accruals, corrections, etc. relating to the project
- Closely follow up project accounts to ensure that their spending is within the new CSA guideline
- Prepare partners advance balance on monthly bases and document
- Reconcile all payables and receivables related to partners on monthly bases
- Work closely with partners staff on financial management and provide technical support and build their capacity in financial management
- Contribute to the improvement of the finance systems and working standards
- Be part of project audit process as well as in the annual general audit of Farm Africa
- Ensures the communication of finance policies and procedures within the project, with partners and other stakeholders as appropriate
- Performs other duties as assigned by the line manager.
These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- BA/ACCA or above in the area of finance/accounting and related fields
- Excellent communication skills in English language(both written and verbal)
- A sound understanding of administration procedures
- Good understanding and firm belief in gender equality
Knowledge of SUN & Vision 5 accounting system
- At least five years of experience in financial management in similar organizations
- Experience of working with major donors, including DFID and EU, as well as Federal and Regional Government and the ChSA
- Project budget monitoring in multiple currencies
Skills & abilities
- Skills in budgeting and maintaining accounts
- Working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines
- A high level of attention to detail and problem solving skill
- Discretion and a proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent team building skills and the ability to work in a multi partner approach
- Strong analytical, organisational and IT skills
- Proven numeracy and data analysis skills
- Strong sense of integrity and personal commitment to the goals and values of Farm Africa
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
Those who meet the above requirements should submit their short CV (maximum of 3 pages) and a cover letter (maximum 1 page) addressing [email protected]with the subject Senior Finance Officer by February 23, 2020.
Documents cannot be returned and due to large number of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. Applications are especially welcomed from female applicants.
Senior Finance Officer at Farm Africa